Kansas in the summer is packed full of activities for everyone. In addition to checking out the on post pool or Wollman Aquatic Center, there is plenty to do! Enjoy golf, movies, festivals, and tons of family-friendly, Fort Leavenworth events.
• Enlisted Week! – 1st-7th of each month after 1 pm at Trails West Golf Course. Active Duty Enlisted Soldiers play golf for free.
• Father Daughter Tea Party- June 3rd from 1:30 pm-3:30 pm at the Frontier Conference Center. It’s Dads Make a Difference Month and the Department of the Army has advocated and supported the Dads Make a Difference Month as part of the Family Advocacy Program Prevention initiatives. Enjoy bonding with your daughter(s) over tea.
• Landing 4 Theatre– $.50 admissions for kid’s movies in the mornings during the summer? Sign us up! Great for rainy days, trying out the movies for the first time, and bonding with other parents.
• Free Movie Night– Great Wall is playing June 9th at 7 pm and King Kong: Skull Island is playing at the same time Saturday at the Theatre on Post. This is a re-occurring event on Friday and Saturdays, so keep an eye out for the listings! Snacks and drinks are normally $1 making it an affordable date night.
• Father Son Scavenger Hunt- June 10th at the Hunt Lodge on post. Join Family Advocacy Program Prevention for an exciting Father – Son Scavenger Hunt!
• 4th of July Celebration–July 4th from 4pm-10pm at Merritt Lake. Join your military family on Independence Day for a day of games, concert, concessions and fireworks! ‘Salute to the Union’ starts at 8 pm and you won’t want to miss it.
• Community Play Group– July 6th from 9am-10:30 am at the Patch Building on post. A play group put on by ACS and CYS for parents and kids to meet and mingle. This is a reoccurring event on Thursday mornings and you can register via Webtrac!
• Cider Hill Family Orchard– The Orchard opens in late July for u-pick apple season. Take the wagon out to the 38 acres of orchard and start picking! Plan to come back in the Fall to pick a pumpkin and enjoy hot apple cider.
• Sante Fe Bicycle Trails presents Late Night Under the Stars– August 2nd at 6 pm at Warren Middle School. A bicycle racing event for all ages. Kids race free and adults and Juniors are $10. Helmets required! Come races under the stars with your friends.
• First Day of School– August 10th kicks off the school year for on post schools. Off post schools in Leavenworth start August 15th with Lansing schools starting August 17th (K-9) and August 18th (10-12 grade). You made it parents! Pat yourself on the back.
• Leavenworth City Market-August 13th from 8 am-1 pm at Haymarket Square- Come check out multiple vendors showcasing antiques, produce, art, and much more! This event happens rain or shine.
• P.A.I.R. Day– August 19th from 9am-1pm at Ft. Leavenworth. This event is a MUST attend for families in the area. Connect with on and off post businesses and agencies and see what your new community has to offer! Make sure to stop by the Armed Forces Insurance booth to say hello to PCSgrades and AFI.
GET OUT OF TOWN!
OVERLAND PARK, KS-
• Deanna Rose Farm Stead– This family-friendly attraction is a fun time. Feed animals, learn about flowers, go fishing, ride ponies, and so much more. This farm is open until October.
• The Enchanted Forest- The arboretum and botanical gardens are so beautiful! Stroll through the woods to see gnomes, fairies, and much more.
• Oak Park Mall– If you’re feeling the shopping bug or need plan b for bad weather, make a day of it at the mall. American Girl, the Disney Store, Apple, Barnes and Noble, and many more stores make this mall great for all ages. The mall also houses a large indoor carousel!
KANSAS CITY, MO-
• Union Station – Union Station is one of the oldest operating train stations. It also houses a large room of model trains, restaurants, Science City, a planetarium and more!
• National World War I Museum and Memorial – This monument and museum should be on your bucket list while you’re stationed at Ft. Leavenworth. Patrons can climb to the top of the tower and enjoy a panoramic view of downtown Kansas City. History buff? Visit the museum or book a battlefield tour!
• Lego Land Discover Center & Sea Life Aquarium– Buy combo tickets and knock out both activities! After all the fun, pop over to Crowne Center for lunch!
• Juneteenth Celebration– June 10th from 10 10 am to 4 pm at the Nelson-Atkins Museum in downtown KCMO. Juneteenth is the oldest known celebration commemorating the abolishment of slavery in the U.S. This free event will have preschool story time, pop up art talks, live music, spoken word, dance demos and more!
• Military Appreciation Night at Sporting Kansas City – August 6th at 7 pm. Come watch Sporting KC take on ATL United and enjoy the Military Appreciation Night! Discounted tickets can be purchased through Leisure Travel Services on post.
• Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium-This ultimate interactive zoo is a short drive away and houses the largest indoor desert. You can also walk on the bottom of the ocean floor and trek through the jungle!
• Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum – An affiliate of the Smithsonian, this museum offers the largest collection of Cold War artifacts in the U.S. Guided tours, multiple summer day camps, and flight simulators make this museum so special and worth a visit.
• Old Market Historic District– This historic district has been transformed into a great place for dining, shopping, and nightlife! Boutiques, jazz clubs, street musicians, and galleries are just a few things you’ll see on the cobblestone streets.
If you are stationed in the Fort Leavenworth area or are headed this way on your next PCS, visit PCSgrades.com for all the latest happenings, base housing info, neighborhood info, school ratings, realtor and moving company recommendations.
Author: Jenah Wieczorek, PCSgrades Social Media Director, is an Army spouse, mother of 2 boys, and professional volunteer. She currently resides in Fort Stewart, GA with her family.