By Jenah Wieczorek, Army Spouse
Summertime at The Great Place is….HOT! In addition to checking out the on and off post pools, there are plenty of other activities such as water parks, festivals, exhibits, and tons of family-friendly Fort Hood events! The dates on these change slightly, but these are the typical things you can expect over Summer at Fort Hood.
Fort Hood Events
- Battle of the Food Trucks– This event typically has free entry! There are over 100 vendors, live music, police & fire trucks and pet adoptions! Come hungry and ready to vote for the best food truck.
- BLORA Water Fest– Entry to BLORA is $6/vehicle/day and they hold an annual water fest. Families will enjoy inflatables, water slides, Sierra beach, races, and much more. You can even stay the night and camp!
- Music on the Lawn– The summer concert series kicks off with a DJ for the first hour, and then the live music starts after that. H-E-B will have a kid’s zone set up with bounce house fun. Bring some snacks and drinks and enjoy the festivities. (Pets and glass containers not allowed)
- USO Movies on the Lawn– The Ft. Hood USO kicks off their annual Summer Movies on the Lawn starting in June and movies typically start around sundown (around 8 pm). Snacks and drinks are available and sometimes they even have a special superhero and/or princess guests appear!
- Remembrance Run/Walk–Join Ft. Hood families for this event honoring those who have gone before us. The boots of the fallen will be on display for about a week after.
- Independence Day Celebration– A free event to celebrate the 4th of July with music, food and beverage vendors, MP dog demos and a 30-minute fireworks display choreographed to patriotic music.
- Hotter than Hades 5k Run/Walk– The cost for this event is $10 DoD and $15 Non- DoD. Trophies and medals will be awarded and t-shirt purchase with registration.
- Hood Howdy– This event is a MUST attend for families in the area and happens in August. Connect with on and off post businesses and agencies and see what your new community has to offer! PCSgrades will be on site giving away a gift card as a way to say Welcome to the Great Place! Make sure to stop by and see us.
Out Of Town Events
- Round Rock Express Baseball– Catch a minor league baseball game in Round Rock! It’s a short drive from Ft. Hood, and they will be playing all summer. Half price Tuesdays and other promotions are running all summer. Check out the schedule here.
- Premium Outlets– Shop til you drop at the Outlets! Tons of stores for all ages, has an IKEA next door, and great places to eat. A great afternoon outing for families at Ft. Hood.
- Rockin River Family Aquatic Center– Recently renovated in 2016, this park has it all! Lazy river, pool, splash pads, stores and much more. This park is a great place to spend time cooling off.
- Inner Space Caverns – Rainy or especially hot days call for indoor play. Families can tour the inner space caverns, go mining, look at fossils, or play on the playground! This is a great activity for all ages.
- The Thinkery– A place for kids and families to play side by side with interactive exhibits. They offer a military discount and children under two are free!
- Paws and Pints– A fundraising event with a fashion show, photo booth, dog-themed movies and drink specials. Proceeds help a different charity each event and this typically takes place in June.
- Father’s Day in the Park– Austin Symphonic Band will play their annual Father’s Day Concert with marches, patriotic music, and more in July.
- Keep Austin Weird Fest and 5k-Live music, good food, strange Austin attractions and a 5k! Dive into your new local culture.
- Bat Tuesday– Food, music, and fun all happen as you cruise on a boat across Lady Bird Lake to watch the famous Congress Street Bats take off at sunset. This is a MUST see when in the Austin area.
- Hamilton Pool Reserve– This is a bucket list item! Families can swim at this amazing location over the Summer, but reservations are required. Pack a lunch and make an afternoon of it.
Jenah is an Army spouse, mother of 2 boys, dog mom and professional volunteer. She currently resides in Fort Stewart, GA with her family.Jenah Wieczorek