Spring is a great time to get out and enjoy the Hampton Roads Area! The weather is starting to warm up and there is plenty to do. Enjoy the many family-friendly Hampton Roads events this spring. Find some great ideas for Easter and Mother’s Day too!
Hampton Roads events this spring
- Easter By-the-Bay Eggstravaganza – Saturday, March 31st, noon – 3PM – Strawberry Banks – An Easter celebration for kids 10 and under with lots of fun activities. The activities include an egg hunt, face painting, inflatables, music, food vendors and a chance to meet the Easter bunny! Admission is free.
- The Great Hunt VA Easter Egg Drop – Saturday, March 31st, noon – 3PM – Portsmouth – This event includes an egg hunt with over 15,000 Easter eggs. There will also be inflatables, games, food and more. Admission is free.
- Hunt Club Farm’s Annual Easter Spring Fling and Egg Hunt – Saturday and Sunday, March 31st and April 1st, 10 AM – 5 PM – This is an Easter tradition in the local area. The event includes egg hunts throughout the day with over 30,000 Easter eggs. Take pictures with the Easter bunny. Hunt for eggs. Visit the petting farm. Take a hay ride and enjoy many other kid friendly activities. Admission is $15 per child and $9 per adult.
- Spirit of Easter Cruises – Sunday, April 1st, 12:30 and 5:30 PM – Norfolk – Take an Easter Cruise aboard the Spirit of Norfolk! Enjoy either an Easter Champagne Brunch or a Dinner Cruise. Both cruises are two hours long and include entertainment with a DJ and interactive games. The brunch cruise includes a buffet style brunch and a complimentary glass of champagne and boards at 12:30 PM. The dinner cruise includes a three-course dinner buffet and boards at 5:30 PM.
- Williamsburg Music & Wine Festival – Saturday, April 14th, Noon – 5 PM – Enjoy wines from six Virginia wineries along with food and craft vendors and two bands. Bring your friends for a day of sipping, shopping, music and fun!
- Williamsburg Taste Festival – April 19st – 22nd – Enjoy a celebration of food traditions from around the nation along with a cocktail and a glass of wine. Come meet chefs, brew masters and vintners from around the area and nation. Tickets starting at $15.
- Hampton International Children’s Festival – Saturday, April 21st, 10 AM to 5 PM – Children and adults alike can experience a cultural showcase from over thirty countries and their unique heritages. Free admission and parking. Food and beverages available for sale.
- Virginia International Tattoo – April 26th – 29th – Scope Arena – This year’s Tattoo will honor Medal of Honor recipients and includes hundreds of performers from 8 nations around the globe. Tickets start at $20.
- Annual Spring Town Point Virginia Wine Festival – Saturday, May 5th and Sunday, May 6th – Enjoy over 200 wines from over 30 Virginia wineries, music and gourmet food. Tickets starting at $25.
- 15th Annual Neptune’s Spring Wine + Food Festival – Saturday, May 12th, Noon – 5 PM – Neptune’s Park, 31st Street Park, Virginia Beach – This year’s festival will include over 70 wines from 9 different countries. Each $40 ticket includes a commemorative wine glass, wine tastings, food sampling tickets and live music.
- 17th Annual Virginia Beer Festival – Saturday, May 19th, 2 – 6 PM – Norfolk Waterfront – The Mid-Atlantic’s largest and longest running festival features a selection of over 150 beers and ciders from Virginia and around the world. The event also features local food and live music. Early bird price for a tasting ticket is $30 before May 1st!
- Victory at Yorktown Family Fun Run and Walk – Saturday, April 7th, 8 AM – Noon – Bring the whole family for a Family Fun Run/Walk with a historical and scenic route that begins at Riverwalk Landing in Yorktown. Registration for the Family Fun Run is $10.
- Disney Junior Dance Party on Tour – Saturday, April 14th, 4 PM – Ted Constant Convocation Center – Join this all new interactive live concert experience. Sing along to Disney Junior’s greatest hits and dance, dance, dance! Tickets range from $23 to $66.
- Earth Day Celebration at Mount Trashmore – Saturday, April 21st, 11 AM – 4 PM – This Earth Day event includes exhibits, displays and activities to green your lifestyle. There will be a Recycling Zone for electronics recycling, document shredding and metals recycling. Free and open to the public.
- Virginia Zoo Party for the Planet – Sunday, April 22nd, 10 AM – 3 PM – Virginia Zoo – Celebrate Earth Day at the Virginia Zoo with eco-friendly enrichment for the animals, conservation talks, and educational activities scheduled throughout the day. Free with regular paid zoo admission.
- Jamestown Day – Saturday, May 12th, 9 AM – 5 PM – Historic Jamestowne and Jamestown Settlement – The annual commemorative event this year marks the 411th anniversary of the founding of America’s first permanent English settlement. Enjoy family friendly tours and activities, traditional entertainment, and military and maritime displays.
- The Norfolk Tides baseball team has many home games during the month of April and May. Military Mondays offer active duty and retired military and their dependents discounted tickets with their ID. They offer other promotional nights including post game fireworks at some games, Country Night, Sunday Fun Days, and many more. Check the schedule for details.
- The Norfolk Admirals hockey team has their last home game on Friday, April 6th at 7 PM at the Norfolk Scope.
Mother’s Day – Sunday, May 13th
- Take Mom on a Mother’s Day Cruise aboard the Spirit of Norfolk! Enjoy either a Mother’s Day Champagne Brunch or a Dinner Cruise. Both cruises are two hours long and include entertainment with DJ and interactive games. The brunch cruise includes a buffet style brunch and a complimentary glass of champagne with boarding at 12:30 PM. The dinner cruise includes a three-course dinner buffet with boarding at 5:30 PM.
- A Mother’s Day Celebration Concert is Friday, May 11th starting at 7 PM, doors open at 6 PM at the Hampton Coliseum. The concert features Marvin Sapp, Fred Hammond, Donnie McClurkin, Charles Jenkins, Take 6 and James Fortune. Take your mom and enjoy a spiritual uplifting and celebration of mothers!
- Celebrate Mother’s Day at Mariners Row on Saturday, May 12th from 11 AM to 4 PM. This free event features live music, food trucks, a wine tasting, art vendors and a free train ride around the center. The first 250 ladies get a free potted flowering plant!
- Mother’s Day Brunch at the Founders Inn is sure to make mom feel special! Mom will love the food prepared by the award-winning culinary team at The Founders Inn. The kids will enjoy the petting zoo, balloon art and face painting. Call for reservations.
That is our tally of all the Hampton Roads events this spring. If you are stationed in the Hampton Roads area or are headed this way on your next PCS, visit PCSgrades.com for all the latest happenings, base housing info, neighborhood info, school ratings, realtor and moving company recommendations.
PCSgrades Author: Paige Keyser is a proud Air Force spouse who lives in northern Virginia with her husband and their two boys. She has spent the last 20 years exploring the world and United States courtesy of the U.S. Air Force. She enjoys drinking coffee, wine, and good beer. And she spends way too much time surfing the web ‘researching’ topics she finds interesting.