By Jenah Wieczorek, Army Spouse
The kids are back in school. The weather SHOULD cool down at some point, and the Great Place is buzzing with family-friendly activities. Here are some ideas to get out and about. Check out these Fort Hood fall events.
- Movies on the Lawn:Sing! – September 16th from 7:30pm-10:30pm in Nolanville. Sing will be playing for free so grab a blanket and some snacks and enjoy a movie.
- Gary Sinise and The Lt . Dan Band- September 16th 5pm-9pm at Hood Stadium. Dancing, bounce houses, arts and crafts and much more ensure this event to be a must attend.
- Chocolate & Wine Weekend- September 22-24th in Salado. This 3-day long event sounds like Heaven! Chocolate & Wine will be paired, a Death by Chocolate contest will occur, and of course amazing lunch, dinner, and brunch available throughout the weekend. Sign us up.
- 2017 Pumpkin Patch- The Robinson Family Farm-September 23rd at 10am at The Robinson Family Farm in Temple. This farm is so fun for kids. Pick out pumpkins, kiddy train rides, a corn maze, hay rides, and so much more!
- National Night Out–October 3rd from 6pm-9pm at Hood Stadium hosted by Fort Hood Family Housing and DESA. This is a free event focusing on safety. There will be demonstrations, free food, activities, inflatables and much more so come party with your neighbors.
- Barktober Fest- October 7th from 10am-1pm at Lion’s Club Park. The 8th annual Barktoberfest is here! Demonstrations, costume contests, vendors, adoptions and so much more make this event a must attend for you and your furbaby.
- Amy’s Attic Fall Craft Festival- October 14th from 10am-2pm at Amy’s Attic Self Storage. This event is free to attend and will have crafters, vendors, a costume contest, inflatables, raffles and more! Proceeds go to Habitat for Humanity.
- Pig N Pint- October 21st from at The Ferris Wheel. This fundraiser is replacing Silent Night Out and proceeds go to Santa’s Workshop for fellow military families. Tickets include BBQ and a beverage. There will be a silent auction, DJ, and dancing. Grab your spouse or friends and go enjoy a fun adult night out.
- Salado BYO Pumpkin- October 27-28th at Salado Glassworks. Fall means Blow Your Own Pumpkin! The glassworks is by reservation only and can be reserved starting Sept. 15th.
- Alan Jackson & Leann Womack- November 4th at 7:30pm at Bell County Expo Center. These 2 Country mega stars will be in Belton! Tickets aren’t cheap, but what a fun show to see.
- Turkey Trot 5k- November 18th hosted by Killeen Parks & Recreation. Further details can be found at http://www.killeentexas.gov/index.php?section=30.
- Food Truck Frenzy & Main Street Market- November 25th from 10am-3pm in downtown Temple. This event is being sponsored by Discover Downtown and there is no charge to attend. It is open to the public! Arts, craft and vintage vendors will join the fun also.
GET OUT OF TOWN
- Super Hero Fun Run- Sept 17th from 7am-10am at the Omni Barton Creek Resort. This 5k is packed with fun and benefits the Make a Wish Foundation. Runners will have fun before and after and everyone gets a t-shirt and medal for finishing. Put on your costume and race for a good cause.
- Austin Museum Day- Sept 17th from open to close at participating museums! So many places to choose from. View the full list here http://www.austinmuseums.org/museumday/. And don’t forget to enter their Instagram contest! (PS- The Thinkery is an AMAZING participating museum for kids)
- 37th Annual Fall Pecan Street Festival- Sept 23rd from 11am-10pm and Sept 24th from 11am-8pm in Austin’s historic 6th street district. 50 musical acts, 30 food vendors, a petting zoo, magicians and more make this festival a must attend.
- Texas Craft Brewer Fest- Sept 30th from 2pm=6:30pm at Austin’s Fiesta Gardens. This festival boasts over 65 Texas craft breweries and around 200 handcrafted beers available. Uber it and get your sample on!
- Austin City Limits Music Festival- October 6-8 and October 13-15 at Zilker Park. One of the largest music festivals in the country will take place with more than 140 musical acts on eight stages! It’s so fun!
- Octoberfest- October 14th from 11am-7pm at The German Free School. Live music, food, a biergarten, and more! Learn more at germantexans.org
- Austin Film Festival- October 26th-November 2nd This 8 days film festival showcases an outstanding program of narrative, animation and documentary features and shorts, including premieres, advanced screenings, and independent films.
- Dia de los Muertos Music Festival- November 4th at Stubb’s BBQ and Amphitheatre. Live music, face painting, dancing, stories, decorating alters, and much more! Come celebrate your loved ones that have passed on at this festival.
- Texas Book Festival- November 4th and 5th from 10am-5pm at the Capitol State grounds. The Texas Book Festival features 250+ nationally recognized authors, 20 venues including the State Capitol, over 80 exhibitors, live music, local food trucks, family activities, and countless opportunities to meet authors and fellow book lovers.
- Chuy’s Christmas Parade- November 18th at 11am and starts at the Capitol and moves south down Congress. This event is rain or shine and benefits Operation Blue Santa which collects new toys for kids. There will be giant inflatables, classic cars, Santa, holiday floats, and marching bands.
If you are stationed in the Fort Hood area or are headed this way on your next PCS, visit PCSgrades.com for all the latest happenings, base housing info, neighborhood info, school ratings, realtor and moving company recommendations.
Author: Jenah Wieczorek, PCSgrades Social Media Director, is an Army spouse, mother of 2 boys, dental hygienist, and volunteer. Jenah is a two-time recipient of the First Cavalry Division Commander’s Award for Volunteer Excellence, the Department of the Army Award for Patriotic Civilian Service, and is a member of the U.S. Cavalry and Armor Association’s Order of St. Joan D’Arc. Jenah enjoys coffee from 9-5, wine from 5-9, leggings as pants, reading and spending time with her boys. She currently resides in Fort Leavenworth, KS with her family.