By Jenah Wieczorek, PCSgrades Social Media Director
Summertime at The Great Place is….HOT! In addition to checking out the on and off post pools, there are plenty of other activities such as water parks, festivals, exhibits, and tons of family-friendly Fort Hood events!
- 3rd Annual Battle of the Food Trucks– June 3rd from 11am-6pm at the Killeen Community Center. Free entry to this event! There will be over 100 vendors, live music, police & fire trucks and pet adoptions! Come hungry and ready to vote for the best food truck.
- BLORA Water Fest– June 3rd from 10am-6pm and June 4th from 10am-8pm at Belton Lake Outdoor Recreation Area. Entry to BLORA is $6/vehicle/day. Families will enjoy inflatables, water slides, Sierra beach, races, and much more. You can even stay the night and camp!
- Music on the Lawn– June 9th and 23rd at 6:30 pm on the lawn beside Chili’s on post. The summer concert series kicks off with a DJ for the first hour, and then the live music starts at 7:30 pm. Sponsors H-E-B will have a kid’s zone set up with bounce house fun. Bring some snacks and drinks and enjoy the festivities. (Pets and glass containers not allowed)
- USO Movies on the Lawn– June 16th The Ft. Hood USO kicks off their annual Summer Movies on the Lawn starting June 16th around sundown (around 8 pm). Snacks and drinks are available!
- Remembrance Run/Walk–July 1st from 7am-1pm on Sadowski Field. Join Ft. Hood families for this event honoring those who have gone before us. The boots of the fallen will be on display from July 1-10th.
- Independence Day Celebration– July 4th from 4pm-10pm at Hood Stadium. A free event to celebrate the 4th of July with music, food and beverage vendors, MP dog demos and a 30-minute fireworks display choreographed to patriotic music.
- Music on the Lawn– July 14th and 28th at 6:30 pm on the lawn beside Chili’s on post. The summer concert series kicks off with a DJ for the 1st hour, and then the live music starts at 7:30 pm. Sponsors H-E-B will have a kids zone set up with bounce house fun. Bring some snacks and drinks and enjoy the festivities. (Pets and glass containers not allowed)
- Music on the Lawn– August 4th and 18th 6:30 pm, Lawn beside Chili’s on post. The summer concert series kicks off with a DJ for the 1st hour, and then the live music starts at 7:30 pm. Sponsors H-E-B will have a kids zone set up with bounce house fun. Bring some snacks and drinks and enjoy the festivities. (Pets and glass containers not allowed)
- Hotter than Hades 5k Run/Walk– August 5th from 8am-1pm at Abrahams Physical Fitness Center. The cost for this event is $10 DoD and $15 Non- DoD. Trophies and medals will be awarded and t-shirt purchase with registration.
- Hood Howdy– August 11th from 10am-2pm at Club Hood. This event is a MUST attend for families in the area. Connect with on and off post businesses and agencies and see what your new community has to offer! PCSgrades will be on site giving away a gift card as a way to say Welcome to the Great Place! Make sure to stop by and see us.
- First Day of School– August 28th kicks off the school year for on-post schools. You made it parents….enjoy handing your kiddos back over to the teachers.
Get Out Of Town!
- Round Rock Express Baseball– Catch a minor league baseball game in Round Rock! It’s a short drive from Ft. Hood, and they will be playing all summer. Half price Tuesdays and other promotions are running all summer. Check out the schedule here.
- Premium Outlets– Shop til you drop at the Outlets! Tons of stores for all ages, has an IKEA next door, and great places to eat. A great afternoon outing for families at Ft. Hood.
- Rockin River Family Aquatic Center– Recently renovated in 2016, this park has it all! Lazy river, pool, splash pads, stores and much more. This park is a great place to spend time cooling off.
- Inner Space Caverns – Rainy or especially hot days call for indoor play. Families can tour the inner space caverns, go mining, look at fossils, or play on the playground! This is a great activity for all ages.
- Swan Lake Ballet–June 16th-18th at Alma Thomas Fine Arts Center. Romantic for adults and magical for kids! Showing times vary by day.
- The Thinkery– A place for kids and families to play side by side with interactive exhibits. They offer a military discount and children under two are free!
- Paws and Pints– June 9th from 4-9pm. A fundraising event with a fashion show, photo booth, dog-themed movies and drink specials. Proceeds help a different charity each event.
- Father’s Day in the Park– June 18th from 7:30-9pm at Zilker Park. Austin Symphonic Band will play their annual Father’s Day Concert with marches, patriotic music, and more.
- Keep Austin Weird Fest and 5k-June 24th starting at 4 pm in downtown Austin. Live music, good food, strange Austin attractions and a 5k! Dive into your new local culture.
- Bat Tuesday– July 4th from 6-8:30 pm at the Congress Street Bridge. Food, music, and fun all happen as you cruise on a boat across Lady Bird Lake to watch the famous Congress Street Bats take off at sunset. This is a MUST see when in the Austin area.
- Hamilton Pool Reserve– This is a bucket list item! Families can swim at this amazing location over the Summer, but reservations are required. Pack a lunch and make an afternoon of it.
If you are stationed in the Fort Hood area or are headed this way on your next PCS, visit PCSgrades.com for all the latest happenings, base housing info, neighborhood info, school ratings, realtor and moving company recommendations.
Author: Jenah Wieczorek, PCSgrades Social Media Director, is an Army spouse, mother of 2 boys, dental hygienist, and volunteer. Jenah is a two-time recipient of the First Cavalry Division Commander’s Award for Volunteer Excellence, the Department of the Army Award for Patriotic Civilian Service, and is a member of the U.S. Cavalry and Armor Association’s Order of St. Joan D’Arc. Jenah enjoys coffee from 9-5, wine from 5-9, leggings as pants, reading and spending time with her boys. She currently resides in Fort Leavenworth, KS with her family.