By Alejandra Fernandez-Rubio, Army Spouse
Those stationed in Hawaii have the opportunity to experience so many new unique events that you wouldn’t otherwise find at a CONUS duty station. Here are just a few events happening in the next few months around Oahu!
- Honolulu Surf Film Festival: July 13-August 2, at Honolulu Museum of Art
- Pacific Ink & Art Expo: August 4-6, at Neal Blaisdell Center – Tattoo artists from around the world gather at this weekend event to show off their ink and tattooing skills.
- Waikiki Artfest: August 27, 9:00am-4:00pm at Kapiolani Park – Showcasing more than 75 of Hawaii’s best artists and handcraft artisans.
- The Wildest Show In Town: August 2, 5:00pm at Honolulu Zoo – Enjoy live local music at the zoo along with activities for the keiki.
- Jack Johnson and Friends Benefit Concert: August 4 & 5, 4:30pm at Waikiki Shell – Local artist Jack Johnson will be hosting a concert to benefit the Kokua Hawaii Foundation
- Waimea Valley Summer Concert Series: August 26, 3:00pm at Waimea Valley – Enjoy music on the main lawn. Tickets on sale at waimeavalley.net or at the gate.
- Eat the Street – On the last Friday of the month (August 25, 2017: Bacon theme and September 29. 2017) join the food truck rally taking place at Kaka’ako Park from 4-9pm for local grindz from around the island!
- VegFest Oahu: September 2, 12:00-5:00pm at Frank Fasi Civic Grounds – A free community festival celebrating plant-based living, with tasty vegan food from local restaurants.
- Little Mermaid at Diamond Head Theater: Sunday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday July 14-August 6, at Diamond Head Theater – Catch the Disney favorite on screen!
- Welcome Back to School Train Ride: August 5, 12:00pm at Hawaiian Railway Society – A 90 minute train ride with a stop for ice cream halfway through!
- Movie in the Park: August 18, 7:45pm at Hickam Harbor Marina – A free movie night for families. Bring chairs, blankets, etc. to enjoy Boss Baby under the stars.
- Living History Day: September 23, 9:00am-4:30pm at Pacific Aviation Museum Pearl Harbor – Event featuring activities relating to film and photography during WWII.
- Kids Festival in Ko’Olina September 23, 2:00-9:00pm at Ko’Olina Resort – Interactive video and music activities for the keike, along with live performances and a sunset finale film on the beach.
- Honolulu Family Fun Run: August 5, 8:30am at Honolulu Hale – This event, sponsored by Kaiser Permanente, is encouraging families to get out and get active!
- Reebok Spartan Race Hawaii Trifecta Weekend: August 5-6, at Kualoa Ranch – Four different races with the opportunity to complete the ultimate Spartan Trifecta Challenge. Do you have what it takes?!
- Hawaii Paddleboard Championship: August 13, 11:00am at Hawaii Kai to Waikiki – The final even in the Maui Jim MaJORS Series, featuring top athletes from Hawaii and around the world!
- Duke’s OceanFest: August 20-27, beginning at 6:00am at the Duke Kahanamoku Statue – The sport festival features a variety of ocean sports, including surfing, paddle board racing, and volleyball.
- Coconut Chase 8k: August 27, 8:00am at Sand Island State Recreation Area – One of the most fun races on the island! Don’t forget to wear your coconuts and hula skirt!
- Na Hula Festival: August 5-6, 9:00am-2:00pm at Kapiolani Park – Celebrating the art and grace of the hula dance.
- Best of Honolulu Festival: August 5, 10:00am-5:00pm at Honolulu Hale – A free event celebrating the best that Honolulu has to offer!
- Made In Hawaii 2017: August 18-20, at Neal Blaisdell Center – Shop small at this weekend convention featuring locally made products.
- Aloha Festivals Floral Parade: September 30, 9:00am-12:00pm at Ala Moana Park – Beautiful parade floats made with Hawaiian flowers will pass through Kalakaua Ave with marching bands and dignitaries.
If you’ve recently PCSed to Hawaii, pay it forward by going to PCSgrades.com and leave a base housing or neighborhood review. If you’re looking for more information about being stationed in Hawaii, check out this area guide.
Author: Alex Fernandez-Rubio is a military wife and work at home mom of three little girls and a 75-pound lap dog. After meeting her husband in college, they’ve been traveling the world, courtesy of the US Army! Alex blogs at Munchkins and the Military, where she shares simple recipes, DIYs, crafts, and tidbits from her personal life! Her hobbies include cooking, crafting, and photography.