With every move, military families debate whether to live on or off post. There are any number of pros and cons to both. The BAH covers base housing 100%. Private sector housing tends to have more room. On-post housing is close to everything and military neighbors are nearby. Off-post housing offers the opportunity to explore the local area and interact with the civilian community.
And sometimes, you have no choice. Either base housing isn’t offered or is full or the local area doesn’t offer viable off-base housing. One thing is for sure. If you are considering living on a military installation, the more you know about the choices, the better. And who better to clue you in, but fellow military families who have been there and done that?
With each housing experience, there are “lessons learned”. The Base Housing Review Platform at PCSgrades.com makes it possible for all of us to share our housing experiences, the good, the bad, and yes, even the ugly!
Here’s why you should go to PCSgrades.com and submit your base housing review:
- Reviews from the military community can provide peace of mind that the housing you choose will be what is best for your family.
- Every review submitted strengthens the voice of our community, providing a little more transparency for our fellow military families that has never existed before in the PCS process.
- You can be prepared to handle issues in advance of your move using thorough reviews that highlight the shortcomings of a particular privatized housing management company. Likewise, privatized housing management companies that do a stellar job can also be highlighted.
- Base Housing reviews offer information in a concise format that you cannot find anywhere else. Learn whether certain neighborhoods are family friendly. Are the jogging trails well maintained as advertised? What is the parking availability? How about the social atmosphere? Does the staff respond in a timely manner?
- There are usually a lot of factors that influence your choice whether to stay on base or search for housing options in the local community. One of the typical advantages to living on base include numerous amenities such as: Emergency Room, Youth Centers, Campgrounds, Movie Theaters, Golf Courses, Shooting/Skeet Ranges, Car Washes, Auto Hobby Shops, Tennis Courts, and Basketball Courts. PCSgrades Base Housing Reviews can answer many of these questions for you.
- You can arm Military/Veteran Support Organizations with unique and reputable data from your reviews so they can wield even greater authority when engaged in advocacy on behalf of military families everywhere.
- YOU can impact the future of the PCS experience for military families in the years to come! Legitimate reviews from verified military members in an open, third-party forum have a much bigger impact than anonymous/un-verified reviews…and certainly more so than venting in a closed group on Facebook.
Want to learn more?
For more information or to submit your own neighborhood or moving company review, go to PCSgrades.com.
And while we would love to see your comments and reactions to this post below, instead, how about going to PCSgrades.com and writing your first Base Housing review?
Help us, help each other. Together, we can truly make a difference.
Author: Carla Olivo, PCSgrades Strategic Communications Coordinator, previously served as the Director of Communications for Operation Hug-A-Hero and as the Media Relations Officer for the Delaware Department of Transportation. She has garnered numerous TV industry awards including the Associated Press award for Spot News Reporting, News Writing, Enterprise Reporting, and Documentary Reporting. During her career as a television journalist, Carla covered Operation Desert Storm, The Gulf War, and the collapse of the Soviet Union. She lives in Northern Virginia with her husband, a retired USMC Lt. Colonel, and their two children. You can follow her on Twitter @olivowriter.